Thursday, September 30, 2010

I'm Lovin It:: Meatless Stuffed Peppers, Recipe Review



Sorry about the terrible picture but I don't want you in no way to judge the recipe by the pic. I have to say this is one of the best recipes I have tried in a long time. My husband and I both need to lose weight so I have been trying to find some meatless recipes. This recipe fits the bill, the worst thing about this recipe is the cheese but you do not use that much! The only thing I changed is I used 1/3 red onion instead of green onion and I added 1 tsp of chipolte powder for the chile powder. This is definitely a keeper.

thanks to a couple of cooks


Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Serves 4
What You Need 4 poblano peppers
1 cup uncooked brown rice (or 4 cups of any cooked grain)
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 15 oz. can of black beans
1 1/2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
3 green onions (optional)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
Cayenne to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Shredded cheese (we used a Mexican blend)
Chopped cilantro for serving (optional)
What To Do
1 Combine 1 cup uncooked rice with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer according to package instructions. (Or, prepare the rice or grain ahead of time.)
2 While the rice cooks, prepare the peppers: slice them in half and remove the seeds and ribs. Make sure to wear gloves! I learned this the hard way (don’t ask).
3 Place the peppers in a baking dish skin side up. Broil about 7 minutes, then flip the peppers and broil 7 minutes more.
4 Chop the 3 green onions (if using), and drain and rinse the black beans.
5 In a large microwave safe bowl, combine: beans, onions, 1 1/2 cups salsa, 1 1/2 cups corn, a bit of the shredded cheese, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, a couple dashes of cayenne (if you like it spicy!). Season with salt and pepper to taste. When the rice is finished, combine with the filling.
Note: Remember that quantities and ingredients are all to taste, so feel free to adjust as needed!
6 Heat the filling a few minutes in the microwave (or on the stove) until warm, depending on the heat of the rice.
7 Place the pepper halves skin side down in a baking dish, and spoon the filing into each half. Top with shredded cheese and broil until the cheese is melted, for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
8 If desired, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with sour cream.



For more lovin its please visit Tidymom

1 comment:

  1. I love stuffed peppers and I do don't need meat! Love black beans! This looks really good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Your comments mean alot to me!